With a lockout under way and it’s unusual focus on employers I wondered…
When and For How Much Money Owners acquired Teams in the first place?
So today’s post is simple in premise but I hope it will become very helpful data…
I compiled a History of Ownership for All Teams including Date and Cost of Transactions.
Please note and remember that:
- sources for this one were all over the map and I had to Google a lot for pretty much every case,
- most information came from [in a random order] prosportstransactions.com, Forbes, Rod’s Sports Economics, sportsecyclopedia.com, Wikipedia and local newspapers’ sites,
- All prices are in millions of dollars [first column means "original price listed" and second one was Adjusted for Inflation to Average for 2010 with data taken from inflationdata.com],
- I don’t have any inside information and I can’t guarantee accuracy any of those reports,
- If you know any information behind ??? please let me know in the comments or via e-mail, Thanks!
- List was sorted alphabetically by current team’s name and then descending by year of transaction.
- I’ll update this post as often as needed/possible – LAST EDIT: 09 November 2011, Sixers
Unfortunately not every team has listed previous owners as nicely as Rockets [MediaGuide.pdf, 8MB] and not every team had such clean and easy history as Pistons, quite the opposite, overall it was a mess and time-wise it was by far my least efficient post to date.
Anyway, enough of caveats, here’s the full table of all owners in the NBA history…
[if you are interested in different views of this table I sorted it by expansion fees and all known sales].
Read the rest of this entry »